In 1936-37, President Manuel L. Quezon ordered the purchase of the rice fields on the other side of the Pasig River across Malacañan Palace to provide the Chief Executive and his family an alternative venue for official functions and recreational activities. The Bureau of Public Works constructed the buildings contained therein - a recreational hall, a community assembly hall, and a rest house – following the designs of architects Juan Arellano and Antonio Toledo. Additional structures, such as golf course, tennis courts, and horse stables, were added to Malacañang Park over time. During the incumbency of her husband, First Lady Evangelina Macapagal had a new structure contemporary style constructed near the rest house. Named “Bahay Pangarap” (Dream House), the building was subsequently used by Doña Josefa Edralin as her residence during the administration of President Ferdinand E. Marcos. The rest house was renovated by Architect Francisco Mañosa through the initiative of First Lady Amelita Ramos, and was inaugurated as “Bahay Pangarap” on March 15, 1996 to serve as a substitute venue for the official functions of the President as well as recreational and social activities. The edifice was again renovated under the supervision of Architect Conrad Onglao, in 2008. President Benigno S. Aquino, III now uses Bahay Pangarap as his official residence, the first time the structure has been designed as such.